"ASHWELLTHORPE, 9 miles S.W. of Norwich, has in its parish 469 souls, and 809 acres of land, anciently in two parishes, called Ashwell and Thorpe, and held for a long period by the family of De Thorpe, from whom the manor passed to the Bouchier, Knyvett, and Wilson families. Lord Berners, the head of the latter family, is the present owner, and also patron of the rectory, valued in the King's Book at £6. 13s. 4d., and in 1831 at £650, with that of Wreningham annexed to it, in the incumbency of the Hon. and Rev. Robt. Wilson, . . . The Church (All Saints,) is an ancient fabric, with a square tower and five bells, and has a neat mural tablet in memory of the late Lord Berners, who died in 1838. In a chapel, on the north side of the chancel, is the altar tomb of Sir Edmund de Thorpe, bearing effigies of himself and lady. He was slain at the siege of Lover's castle, in Normandy, but was interred here."
[William White, History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk (1845)]
The Village Sign
Ashwellthorpe is all one word but it is featured as two words on the village sign (see above).